The idea of having your tooth extracted does not sound fun, does it? But if your tooth is in pain, you might have to accept that it must go. But in most cases, you do not have to be in pain to get an extraction. Here’s more from your dentist in Orange about wisdom tooth extraction, one of the most common types of oral surgery.
Wisdom teeth typically erupt when you’re between 17 – 21 years old. A person typically has four wisdom teeth, two on the top and two on the bottom. In some instances, you do not see any of your wisdom teeth; but this doesn’t mean that you don’t have any! This is simply because some never erupt and can only be seen in an X-ray.
When they do come in, you might start experiencing some symptoms including:
- Pain at the back of your mouth.
- Swollen and tender gums.
- Biting your tongue or cheeks.
- Bleeding gums.
- Repeated tooth infections.
- Cysts or wounds near the wisdom tooth site.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s a sign to get your wisdom tooth removed.
You’re probably asking yourself: “Why do we have wisdom teeth if we are just going to have them removed?” This is a good question… and the answer is because they used to be quite essential! Back in the day, we used to eat hard foods, so they were used to help us chew. With human evolution and advancement, we eat softer foods and our jaws have grown smaller, but our teeth remained the same, resulting in crowded teeth or crooked teeth. After all, they are trying to squeeze their way in, causing pain and discomfort because they just do not fit!
Now you know more about wisdom teeth and why your dentist recommends an extraction, even when you are not experiencing pain. Here are some tips to help you prepare for an extraction:
- Always ask questions to help yourself understand what will go down; this will help better prepare you for the surgery. For example, ask how many teeth will be removed and if you should not take specific medication before the surgery.
- Practice good oral hygiene, because after the surgery, you won’t be able to brush your teeth for at least 24hrs. Always ensure that you have a clean mouth.